Tutanota: Private or Business E-Mail Mailbox
Easy to use on the iPhone despite Encryption
If you have the highest demands on usability and encryption, you should definitely try Tutanota – for free!
Secure Solution for all technical Platforms
E-mails, address book and calendar are stored end-to-end encrypted in Tutanota. When logging in, the mailbox is automatically decrypted locally on your device. For your smartphone there are Tutanota apps for Android and iOS. And for Windows, Linux and Mac OS there is a desktop client. Otherwise, just use your web browser. Tutanota uses symmetrical (AES 128) and asymmetrical encryption (AES 128/RSA 2048) to encrypt e-mails end-to-end.
If sender and recipient use Tutanota, all e-mails are automatically encrypted end-to-end (asymmetric encryption). Encrypted e-mails to external recipients are secured by a one-time password exchange (symmetrical).
Easy to use, absolutely fair
Even the limited free version gives a good feeling for the operation and makes the decision for the provider easier. With one gigabyte of storage space in the free version, many users will get by permanently. After a personal test you will gladly pay twelve EUR for the upgrade to a premium annual subscription (for little money you can use all the advantages of the premium version and support rapid further development)!
From Hannover (Germany) for the World
The menu navigation is in the web browser and on the smartphone (apps for Android and iOS) in German and 57 other languages, the website of Tutao GmbH is currently available in 33 languages, almost all pages also in German.
Fully encrypted Calendar
Secure e-mail was the primary goal of Tutao GmbH. For this reason, the calendar was not integrated in a preliminary version until 08.07.2019 (since 10.07.2019 in the Apple App Store). An own cloud storage is also planned. Gradually Tutanota will be expanded to an Office Suite.
- Freemium business model with fair pricing (basic service free of charge, more for a very small surcharge, cross-financing by paying customers)
- End-to-end encryption invisibly integrated for users
- Transport encryption with current TLS versions 1.2 and 1.3, PFS and DANE
- location-independent use with very good apps for Android and iOS
- Integration of any number of your own domains from premium tariff possible (with SPF)
- since 31.07.2019: extended spam protection with DKIM and DMARC for own domains (like before for Tutanota domains)
- since 11.05.2020: MTA-STS Support for custom domains with Let's Encrypt
- Aliases with own domain can be deleted and created again later
- Aliases with Tutanota domain can only be deactivated and later re-activated (quasi name protection)
- Two-factor authentication (2FA) possible (TOTP)
- Catch-all possible from premium tariff upwards
- very good individually added spam protection
- very easy to use e-mail filter
- E-mails are encrypted including the subject line (unique selling point!)
- detailed address book with completely encrypted personal data
- fully encrypted calendar, even notifications are encrypted (unique selling point!)
- full text search from premium version for address book, e-mails (soon also calendar)
- any number of folders can be created
- from Premium version on, you can add a storage package: 10 GB 24 EUR/year, 100 GB 120 EUR/year or 1 TB 600 EUR/year
- 100 % open source
- outgoing e-mails including attachments may not exceed 25 megabytes
- only one folder level, so no nested subfolders
- no import of mails yet (firmly scheduled)
- Mail relocation from previously used mailbox not yet possible (planned for desktop clients for Linux, Windows, Mac OS)
- no cloud storage yet (planned)